COVID-19 JOBKEEPER PAYMENT – REMINDER & UPDATE
(Legislation is expected to be passed very soon, therefore this information is still considered general in nature and has been obtained by relevant fact sheets)
Eligible Employers get a head start and have this information readily available:
A reminder to please go through all your eligible employees that would qualify for the Jobkeeper Payment within your business. You may need to act promptly to ensure you meet the requirements for the first payment of this stimulus package.
IMPORTANT: The first fortnight under the scheme is from 30 March 2020 to 12 April 2020. Taking into account our public holiday this Friday 10th April, this would mean that the first payment to eligible employees would need to be made by 9th April to qualify for the first payment. If you are still paying wages to an eligible employee over the $1500 gross payment per fortnight (before tax) you do not need to pay anything further. However, if not, then you will need to review this situation closely and calculate any difference. Overall, you will need to pay eligible employees a minimum or $1500 gross per fortnight (before tax) between the first fortnight period and then continue to pay your employees a minimum of $1500 gross per fortnight (before tax), before the end of the next payment fortnight thereon. The last payment fortnight is Sunday 27th September 2020.
Payments will be received by the ATO monthly in arrears and the first payment will be received in the first week of May.
Currently eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.
If you need assistance with regards to this Jobkeeper Payment, please contact our office.
Please rely on news sources and information from State and Australian Government websites that are reliable.